You've just heard these three words: “YOU NEED BRACES!”
Braces! What now?
Don't worry! Braces aren't nearly as scary as you may think. In fact, braces today come in a variety of styles, materials, and colors, making life with braces much easier, more comfortable, and even more stylish than in the past.
How long will I have to wear braces?
The amount of time it takes to treat your smile with braces depends on different factors:
- What needs correction — The amount of treatment needed to correct a problem will determine how long the process takes and different patients react to treatments differently, so while it may take one person only 15 months to complete their treatment, it may take another person 24 months. Treatment times can vary depending on how quickly your body responds and how much work is needed to give you the show-stopping smile you expect.
- YOU! — Your willingness to use and take care of the appliances your orthodontist gives you plays a major role in the length of time it takes to complete your treatment. Poor oral hygiene has been shown to increase treatment times! If you are asked to wear something extra, for example rubber bands, 24 hour wear will work twice as fast as only wearing them at night! Always remember to take care of your braces and appliances; this truly will help make your treatment shorter!
Braces your way!
Our practice offers a variety of braces, types and styles, to choose from. Some common options include:
- Ceramic braces
- Invisible braces
- Lingual braces
- Traditional metal braces
What can I eat while wearing braces?
You've probably heard from your parents, friends, and even your orthodontist, the long list of foods and beverages that you should avoid while wearing braces. While it may seem like you're giving up a lot, it is important to avoid eating certain foods. We also want you to enjoy your braces experience, so here's a quick list of foods to avoid and foods to embrace while wearing braces.
Foods to avoid while wearing braces:
- Chewy foods — bagels, licorice
- Crunchy foods — popcorn, chips, ice
- Sticky foods — caramel candies, chewing gum
- Hard foods — nuts, hard candies
- Foods that require biting into — corn on the cob, apples, carrots
Foods you CAN eat while wearing braces:
- Dairy — soft cheese, pudding, milk-based drinks
- Breads — soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins without nuts
- Grains — pasta, soft cooked rice
- Meats/poultry — soft cooked chicken, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafood — tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Vegetables — mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, beans
- Fruits — applesauce, bananas, fruit juice
- Treats — ice cream without nuts, milkshakes, Jell-O, soft cake
Orthodontic braces are a big part of life for many people your age. While braces may have had a bad reputation in the past, today's braces make it easy to look good and feel good! Please contact our practice to schedule your next orthodontic checkup.