04 Aug Why you need to make sure you’re consultation is with a registered orthodontist
When the decision is made to seek orthodontic treatment, whether it’s for you or your child, do not be swayed by being offered a ‘FREE’ consultation. This is often used as a marketing tool to get you into the practice and not usually carried out by an Orthodontist.
If you are seeking or are offered a FREE consultation, make sure you ask who will be carrying out the examination. If attending for an orthodontic assessment, you should absolutely be seeing the Orthodontist who will be treating you. Only Specialists Orthodontists, with their extensive backgrounds, can be relied on to provide the appropriate and comprehensive treatment for your oral health needs.
You should feel comfortable asking questions. Orthodontic treatment by a Specialist Orthodontist is not an inexpensive investment, but it IS a worthwhile investment.
What to ask? You should come up with a personal list of your own questions and concerns, but here are a few you might consider if not covered at the consultation:-
- Are you a Specialist Orthodontist or a General Dentist performing orthodontic procedures?
- Do you have before and after photographs of patients you have treated that are similar to me or my child?
- How often to you recommend extracting teeth? No matter the answer to this question it should be followed up by “why?”
- If early treatment for a child is recommended, what specifically are we accomplishing by splitting the treatment into two parts?
- If we should elect to have early treatment, what is done between the early and final orthodontic treatment?
- What type of retainers will be required after treatment? How often and how long will they need to be worn?
- If you are an adult seeking treatment for yourself, ask what percentage of patients in the orthodontist’s practice are adults?
- How flexible are the payment plans in this practice?
This is certainly not meant to be a comprehensive or required list of questions, but it should serve as a guide to help you get the most out of your orthodontic consultation with your Specialist Orthodontist!